Here are five reasons why I—a fundraiser who really doesn’t love asking people for money—have zero qualms asking you to become a regular donor to Refuge Coffee.
When you give a monthly gift to Refuge…
1. You give to people. To be specific, to…
…and to the other refugees and immigrants who will one day join us on our opportunity-giving, job-training, welcome-making, community-building journey.
2. You express something deep and hidden in the soul of every human: the desire to be welcomed and to welcome.
3. You help us create literal spaces of welcome. Agenda-less, safe, welcoming places where all are welcomed. To be honest, I wondered at first if this part of our mission would “work” or make much difference. But it does and it has. At Refuge, I’ve witnessed simple hospitality become a mighty engine of mercy and justice.
4. You make a reliable investment in unreliable times. We consider our obligation to “pay back” your donation a sacred trust. Even if all you can give is $10 every month, your gift becomes our debt to you. We will turn your investment into wise, deep, effective action.
5. Your monthly donation makes your generosity forget-proof. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been compelled to give and forgotten. My husband and I give to Refuge, but also to other organizations, and we consider monthly giving plans a strategic aid to our really bad memories!
So, would you join me in becoming a monthly donor to Refuge? And will you ask a few friends to give, too? You can become a monthly donor here – just choose the “monthly recurring donation” option.
~ Kitti Murray, Founder of Refuge Coffee